Embracing a new season is a beautiful thing. How about switching up your makeup routine to match the mood?
We all know a bold lip takes center stage. And while you don’t have to put your summer stash away for good, it’s only natural to transition to warmer hues that befit the fall. Luckily, there are plenty of color palettes to choose from that suit the autumn aesthetic.
A few starting points:
• Hydrate first. “[Use] a lip balm or primer, then blot the excess balm with a tissue,” says Camille Ariane, a celebrity makeup artist who’s worked with Lynn Whitfield and June Ambrose.
• Create staying power. Liquid or matte formulas may be the key to long-lasting results. “Try to stay away from glosses if you don’t want to constantly reapply your lip,” Ariane advises. Another trick? Apply a matching lip liner all throughout the lips, then top it off with lipstick. “This way, if the lipstick starts to fade or crack, the color from the liner is still in place,” says ShaDara Holmes, a celebrity makeup artist and groomer who’s worked with Emmy Raver-Lampman and Tawny Cypress.
• Make it flawless. Consider applying your lipstick with a lip brush. “[This] makes it easier to [achieve] a more precise application,” Ariane says.
• Perfect your technique. Starting with the top lip, Holmes suggests taking your lipstick from the outer corner to the Cupid’s bow, creating an “X” for a pronounced top shape. Then, move downward to the other side of the lips. For the bottom lip, start on the outside and move inward, going in a continuing motion from side to side. “Make sure not to go over your bottom [or top lip] line unless you want a fuller effect,” Holmes says.
From sexy satins to mesmerizing mattes, here are the pros’ top picks:
1. Fenty Beauty Stunna Lip Paint Longwear Fluid Lip Color, Unveil ($28, Ulta)
The perfect autumn nude, this chocolate brown lipstick boasts a lightweight, long-lasting formula with a soft-matte finish. Not your average lipstick in a tube, this lip paint comes with a wand to help you achieve that precise application.
2. NARS Lipstick, Immortal Red ($26, Sephora)
If you’re still on the hunt for the perfect matte red, you may be in luck with this crimson shade. Plus, your pout may appreciate ingredients like passion fruit seed oil to moisturize, and moringa oil to preserve the color.
3. Maybelline Super Stay Matte Ink Liquid Lipstick, Escapist ($13, Walmart)
Bring on the drama with this striking plum color. And if you’re going for a bold, sophisticated look that’ll stay put, this long-lasting formula — 16 hours to be exact — may do the trick.
4. Charlotte Tilbury Hot Lips Lipstick 2, Glowing Jen ($38, Sephora)
Seeking something a bit softer? This rosy pink pick is praised for its sheer, buildable formula and satin finish. Best of all, it doesn’t skimp on the moisture, making it ideal for mature lips, which tend to be drier, and a go-to option for everyday wear.
5. Sephora Collection Cream Lip Stain Liquid Lipstick, Cherry Moon ($15, Sephora)
You can never have too many reds in your lipstick collection. This cherry shade promises a matte, yet creamy, finish and claims to be full coverage. Plus, the wand applicator keeps things from getting messy.