A Special Message to You from Sisters
As we celebrate the season together, here’s what we’d like to share with our friends and readers.
Sis, our wish for you is that you slow down, savor the season and celebrate how special you are. Here are 15 holiday gifts to give yourself.
1. Catch up on some Sisters articles you may have missed. We’ve included four reader favorites in this issue!
2. Take a long, hot soak in water scented with either balsam fir mineral bath (smells like a Christmas tree!) or frankincense and myrrh foam bath.
3. Regift an item that doesn’t bring you joy, and don’t feel the least bit guilty.
4. Call a dear friend with whom you’ve only connected on social media recently.
5. Take those cherished family photos you’ve been meaning to display from storage and send them to a photo shop to make canvas prints for a gallery wall. While you’re at it, enjoy the memories with your loved ones.
6. Company’s coming. Give yourself permission to relax. You don’t have to deep clean every room in the house. Focus on eye level and high traffic areas, close a few doors to keep clutter out of view and remember that your friends are coming to see you.
7. Enjoy “Your Holiday Hits Playlist,” dance in your living room and sing along out loud!
8. As you think about the Nguzo Saba during Kwanzaa, visualize how you’d like purpose, unity, creativity, faith or any of the other principles to show up in your life in 2020. For instance, if you want more creativity and unity, why not make a date to enjoy a paint and sip with your girls?
9. Bundle up and take a walk somewhere quiet. Focus solely on the present moment. Do you smell wood smoke from the chimney of a nearby house? Is that a cardinal alighting from a birch tree? The holidays can present so much bustle and noise with shopping, traveling and social obligations. Take this time to be present with yourself.
10. Scent your room with a peppermint candle to enjoy candy-cane goodness without the calories.
11. If you have to work during the holidays, get out of the office for a festive lunch.
12. Toast to your health with a deliciously festive mocktail. Get recipes here.
13. Enjoy a game of Holiday Mahjongg Dimensions, backgammon, solitaire or other free games at aarp.org.
14. Curl up with a good book. Here are some great suggestions.
15. Pick up some black-eyed peas and collard greens at the market for good luck — and good health — in the new year. Both are packed with phytonutrients.
MERRY CHRISTMAS, HAPPY KWANZAA, HAPPY HANUKKAH AND HAPPY NEW YEAR!